Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Avoided By the Mayor for a Good Cause - By Matty Jacobson


Matty Jacobson owns, edits and contributes to The Skewed
Review. He is seen here in the dance studio at the
Roene B. DiFiore Center for Arts and Education
which was dedicated on June 25, 2012.
THE SKEWED REVIEW | NEWS & POLITICS | ARTS & ENTERTAINMENT | COLLEGE LIFE

I would like to admit, right here and now, that I did absolutely nothing when it came to preparing the Roene B. DiFiore Center for Arts and Education to be dedicated.

I must give credit where credit is due, and, well, rather than name names, I'll just say that credit isn't mine. I mean, I'll take it, but I certainly don't deserve it.

For those who don't know who "Mrs. D" was, please allow me to enlighten you.

Roene DiFiore was a leader to Dixie College students. She was a music lover and a mentor. And now, there's a building named after her. That's the super-extra short version. I'd highly advise you to check out DiFioreCenter.org to get the entire scoop on "Mrs. D" because I have far too much to say, and I'm hardly in the mood for a history lesson.

This is Mrs. D. Someday we'll figure out how she got in that painting.


First and foremost, I would like to call out The Spectrum. I'm pretty sure they knew that St. George Mayor Dan McArthur and Dixie State College President Stephen Nadauld were going to speak at this event. I know because I sent them several emails and shot them a phone call or two. Alas, despite history being made on Hope Hill, the biggest news outlet was more concerned with a story titled "Weight Loss Advice Abounds."

Who knows what it's about. I'm just not in the mood to click on it.

Look at what you missed out on, Spectrum! That's Mayor McArthur on the right. These two men were either singing
their hearts out or expressing their extreme disapproval of St. George's dance laws. Something tells me it's the former.


What I did enjoy was seeing the crowd of art lovers from all over gather in scorching heat to attend this labor of love. On behalf of myself, and I'm sure all those who put in real work at the center, I give my thanks to those who attended and sat on metal church chairs in 99-degree weather.

Except this guy. He found a nice shady spot to text.

Now, I'm not sure if the mayor reads my work, and if he does, then I don't know if he recognized me, but he didn't make eye contact with me. However, had the two of us spoken, be sure I would have set aside my feelings about how our little city is run and I would have shaken the mayor's hand and given him a fond "how d'ya do?"

By the way, our dear college president at least pretended to know who I was! (Even though he didn't. But that's OK. I'm totally and utterly almsot not offended.)

Now you may be asking, "Hey Matty, what exactly is the point of this particular article?"

And I would have to answer to you: "You know what? Good question."



No comments:

Post a Comment