Saturday, June 2, 2012

New Orleans Redeemed Through La Bayou - By Matty Jacobson

THE SKEWED REVIEW | ARTS & ENTERTAINMENT


New Orleans is a destination for so many travelers, so I’ve got a suggestion for those of you who would like the kind of hospitality and service one might expect from the south.

Bourbon Street is what we Utahns call “scary.” Huge Ass Beers (which is the name of the drink, by the way), live sex acts (touted all up and down the street), and drunkards puking all over the sidewalks are typical there once the sun goes down.

But one business stood out as exemplary there—even amid the cacophony that is a Bourbon Street tourist: La Bayou.

I imagine this what La Bayou must look like from a drunk person's perspective.


The day started out on a sour note. It was 10:30 a.m. and I was incredibly hungry. I thought another muffaletta was in order. I headed across the street to the Riverwalk on the Mississippi where the sassy counter girl at the Messina’s said, “We’re not open yet.”

But it wasn’t in a kind voice. It was in a voice as if I had just walked up to the counter and demanded she make me a sandwich right then and there. I should probably add that the sign said it was open for business at 10 a.m., and this was actually the second day I’d been treated like dirt by the same establishment (because I'm all for second chances!).

So, with an empty stomach and a fury that would rival The Hulk’s, I stomped out of Riverwalk and promptly tweeted to my tens of followers to skip that particular Messina’s.

Believe me when I say the fight was on. I pretty much dared New Orleans to give me some more of that attitude. I was going to give the next employee who acted like I was somehow being an ass by spending my money at his or her business the what-for (please imagine me twirling my 19th century mustache here).

Somehow, I found my way to Bourbon Street. I happened to walk by La Bayou where a very nice gentleman said something to the effect of, “You hungry?”

So in I went. I sat at the oyster bar where “Big E,” the “Bad (or was it Big?) Mother Shucker,” told me he could hook me up with whatever I needed.

He made sure to amend his statement and clarify that “whatever I needed” was limited to the menu.

Aww, shucks! 

But the best part of LaBayou was that the staff was friendly! Friendly! At this point in time, I probably would have eaten magnolia bark and been fine with it if someone would have given me some damn service! But, luckily, I didn’t have to resort to deer-like bark eating.

I ordered the muffaletta. It was delicious. “E” also shucked me half a dozen fresh oysters, and I had a cup of local amber. The food was as excellent as the service.

“E” and I had a conversation while I ate, and he recommended some other foods I try while in New Orleans, and I told him about my travels so far (I omitted some of the nastier experiences I’d had; LaBayou had put me in a very good mood).

You’ll want hit up LaBayou on Bourbon Street when you’re in New Orleans. You may have to wade through a sea of screaming frat boys to get there, but it’ll be well worth your time. 

Oh, and the view is great--even from a distorted perspective!




No comments:

Post a Comment